Friday, January 11, 2013

LinkedIn's Amazon Reading List

I'm very disappointed that LinkedIn pulled the plug on the Amazon Reading List (ARL) app/gadget.  When I first discovered the ARL, I signed up just to add some activity to my LinkedIn account.  It was about this same time that I decided to start investing in audio books for my hour long (one way) commute to work each day.  I used it as my own personal scorecard to see how many books I count rack up and maybe write a few reviews along the way.  It was a fun way to do some learning while I was stuck behind the steering wheel.

I am a very slow reader.  Audio books are an amazing invention to me.  Some people have "photographic" memory; I thrive on learning via the things I hear.  I don't know why, but it just sticks with me better that way.

So, now I need an outlet to log the books I read.  And this blog is desperately in need of some content... but I'm still disgusted that LinkedIn just vanquished the ARL without letting users know about it before hand or providing any way for users to retrieve their lists and reviews that were already posted.  In terms of goals of information security, Confidentiality, Integrity, and AVAILABILITY, making my reading list unavailable is on par with the password breach LinkedIn suffered last summer (6.46 million LinkedIn passwords leaked online).

No comments:

Post a Comment